Isn’t it funny how things can align perfectly and happen at the exact time that you need them to?
I’ll be honest, I’ve been a pretty negative source of energy these past few weeks (and maybe even months) when it comes to my life living abroad. It is SO easy to focus on the negative. I miss my home country. My family. My friends. I don’t like ‘this’ or ‘that’ about my new home. I feel lonely. I feel fearful of the future…
We can completely forget to sit back and take the time to acknowledge all of the positive things that come from the expat experience.
I’ve struggled a lot these past few weeks as I go through all of the emotions that come hand-in-hand with moving your life across the world and I’ve been very unsure of how to cope with these feelings and what the next steps should be.
CUE: May 16. The date that I’d scheduled a Tony Robbins Strategist to speak at one of my work events. Of course, as the Event Manager, I did my research and somewhat knew what to expect… But I never thought that I would feel this uplifted and empowered to take control of my life!
So, if you are living abroad – Please join me in screaming out-loud these amazing benefits that you are getting from the experience:
THE POSITIVES OF BEING AN EXPAT
- You get to experience another country and culture at the most intimate level.
- You make friends from around the world and have places to stay in various countries whenever you visit.
- You build an absolutely bad-ass international CV/Resume that shows flexibility, confidence and maturity.
- You always have an interesting story to tell about your native country and are the ‘unique’ person in the room.
- You push yourself to experience your new home abroad and fill your days with fun activities.
- You inspire people back in your home country and feel special when you return.
- You make it easy for people to approach you and start conversations as you are wonderfully different.
- You learn to appreciate and treasure your own traditions, culture and identity.
- You feel powerfully grateful to be lucky enough to have the relationships, friendships and family in your life that you could ‘miss’ this much!
- You break your boundaries and force yourself to be outgoing and brave in your new surroundings.
- You learn so much about yourself that you actually love the person that you are and can spend as much time alone as you want.
- You laugh at how crazy and different human beings can be; from language to favourite foods.
- You feel incredibly proud of yourself for jumping into the deep end and doing something that a lot of people would fear.
The Tony Robbins Peak Performance Strategist, Stephen Litman, explained to us that our emotions can easily hinder our experience in this life that we are given. Our brains are programmed and reprogrammed throughout our life to react differently to each task or experience that we come across. Whether it is dread when faced with a work task or passively going through the motions with little payoff or emotion at all. If we actively decide to condition our emotions to support us and our goals – Then the sky really is the limit.
Hence, FROM TODAY, I am going to look for the positive emotions within my expat experience and focus my energy and attitude towards them. I’m going to deeply reflect on the issues that are stopping me from finding happiness in my current situation, understand where they are coming from and take new empowered action.
I’m going to be patient. I’m going to take my time to enjoy the ‘living abroad’ process and feel fulfilled every step of the way!
How about you?
What is the biggest thing that you want to achieve in your life right now and what’s holding you back?